Of course, one of the main draws to come to one of our SC vacation rentals, be it a luxury house on Isle of Palms or a Folly Beach house Charleston, is the ocean. A large number of our luxury beach house rentals SC are oceanfront or almost so.
And this weekend, if you’re here in a Charleston beach house, there are a couple ocean-related events going on that you might want to check out.
As I mentioned in an earlier BLOG, shagging is a Carolina favorite pastime, and the Shaggin’ on the Cooper series at Waterfront Park in Mount Pleasant is a wildly popular and fun summer event. It’s particularly convenient to our Isle of Palms vacation rentals since it’s east of the Cooper River.
Well, tonight is a similar event, also sponsored by the good people at Charleston County Parks & Rec, this one taking place west of the Ashley. It’s on Folly Beach in fact, and is very convenient to Folly Beach rentals Charleston. It’s Moonlight Mixers, and it’s going on tonight – Friday, August 21st – as well as the evening of September 18th – on the Folly Beach Pier.
- Shagging under the stars on the scenic Folly Beach Edwin S. Taylor Fishing Pier
- Music by DJ Jim Bowers, spinning beach music and other classics
- Food, snacks & beverages will be available for purchase (please don’t bring outside coolers or alcohol)
- Gates open and music starts at 7:00 p.m. and the event goes till 11:00 p.m.
- Rain date is the following night (Saturday)
- Tickets are just $10 each, in advance or at the gate.
Here’s a link to the parks’ website with all the info: https://ccprc.com/1618/Moonlight-Mixers
The Folly Pier really is a lovely spot. It stretches 1,045 feet out over the Atlantic Ocean, is 25 feet wide, 23 feet above sea level (literally!), and is the second longest such pier on the entire East Coast. Even if you can’t make the mixer, it’s worth a visit. It’s also a great place to fish (they have rod rentals and a tackle shop), dine (at Locklear’s Beach City Grill), or swim (they have beach access and showers).
Save The Fleet
On the other side of the historic peninsula, east of the Cooper, is another event going on this weekend that has ties to the ocean.
If you’ve stayed in any of our rental homes South Carolina, especially in our Isle of Palms luxury rentals, you may have driven past Shem Creek. It’s the scenic area where the shrimp boats dock, when they’re not heading out into the harbor and the ocean to catch more shrimp. Shem Creek boasts a slew of great restaurants, boat and SUP rentals, and a terrific boardwalks that lend great views of the water and the trawlers.
The shrimpers of Shem Creek form a classic Lowcountry scene.
Well, sadly local shrimpers have had a tough time lately, what with cheap imported shrimp, high fuel prices, and climate change. Many have been forced out of business, and the ones that are still hanging in there have recently had yet another challenge come against them. A new Coast Guard Regulation will be going into effect requiring any boat (like the shrimpers) who go 3-5 miles off shore must be outfitted with life rafts, which cost $3,000 each.
So this coming Sunday, there’s a benefit called Save the Fleet that looks like a lot of fun, with all the proceeds to be split equally among the remaining fishermen.
Here are some of the details:
- A “Lowcountry Boil” – a classic and delicious dish that you must try when visiting the area
- An open bar
- Live music by Hollow Point
- Art auction
- 1:00 – 6:00 p.m. Sunday
- Takes place at Harborside East, 28 Bridgeside Boulevard in Mount Pleasant
- Sponsored by Shem Creek Fisheries
- Tickets are $50 advance or $75 at the door (advance tickets available at Karen’s Korner Frame and Art Gallery, 1405 Ben Sawyer Blvd. in Mount Pleasant)
- More info at: https://www.facebook.com/SaveShemCreekCorp?fref=ts
- You can also message Angela Brunson through the FB page for advance tickets
- Help keep these hardworking fishermen in business, supplying the Lowcountry with fresh seafood!
So enjoy some shaggin’, eat some local shrimp… and remember to contact Exclusive Properties when you are looking for the very best in beach house rentals Charleston SC.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger