The Lowcountry has a myriad of fun festivals that happen in all seasons, all throughout the calendar year. Some of the biggies include SEWE, Spoleto, Piccolo Spoleto, MOJA, Flowertown, Festival of Homes and Gardens, just to name a very few. They are a big draw for people coming to our SC vacation rentals, since they’re convenient to both our Isle of Palms vacation rentals and Folly Beach rentals Charleston.
Another big festival is coming up a little less than a month from now, so you might want to mark your calendars. It’s the Southern Living Taste of Charleston Festival at Boone Hall Plantation – in fact, it’s the 35th annual incarnation of the beloved event where you can sample your way through Charleston cuisine without leaving one locale.
The dates are September 25th through 27th, with the main event happening on the 27th (Sunday). Prime time for luxury beach house rentals SC ends on Labor Day, so it’s a chance to score some great off-season rates on our rental homes South Carolina, either a luxury house on Isle of Palms or a Folly Beach house Charleston.
But in the meantime, there’s a trio of quirky/fun things going on if you happen to be in a Charleston beach house this weekend.
MOVIES IN THE PARK
First up, tonight (Friday, August 28th) it’s the latest installment of Movies in the Park – free outdoor movie screenings at Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park. Here are the specs:
- Free showing of “Guardians of the Galaxy,” Co-sponsored by Cinebarre in Mount Pleasant and Y102.5 radio
- Music and food available before the show starts
- The fun begins at 6:00 p.m.
- For your GPS: 99 Harry Hallman Jr. Blvd, Mount Pleasant
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1457147124579633
STOMPING OF THE GRAPES
Saturday August 28th from noon till 5:00 is the 12th annual Grape Stomping Festival at Irvin-House Vineyards.
It takes place at 6775 Bears Bluff Road in Wadmalaw Island. The cost is $10 per car, and part of the proceeds will be given to local school programs. There will be food as well as tastings available for purchase… Home Team BBQ, Chucktown Mobile Seafood, Coastal Crust, Korki’s Café and others will provide the food. Rawberry Jam and Pierce Eden & The Dirty Work will provide live music.
But the main attraction is the grape stomping contest, inspired by the famous 1956 episode of I Love Lucy. Teams of two people each (the Stomper and the Swabber) will have three minutes to stomp 20 pounds of fresh muscadine grapes with bare feet. The one that produces the most juice, wins. And of course, you are encouraged to dress like Lucille Ball from the iconic TV scene. In fact, concurrent to the stomping contest will be a Lucy Look-A-Like Contest.
See above pic for costume and hair ideas.
Here are more details, including the rules and parameters: http://irvinhousevineyards.com/grapestomp.php
REGGAE, JERK & WINE FESTIVAL
Then on Sunday, it’s the second annual installment of a spirited combo festival taking place at Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. It promises a zesty combo of tunes, food and bevs as it celebrates Jamaica Day here in the Lowcountry, and benefits some good causes. Here are the details:
- A whole day of fun – noon till 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
- Hosted by Ulato Sam, a native of Jamaica and former Morehouse College athlete.
- Proceeds benefit the Healthy Lifestyle Network, which educates kids and adults on healthy eating. You’re encouraged to bring toys, school supplies, soccer balls and shin guards which they’ll distribute to needy kids in Charleston and Jamaica.
- A jerk recipe cook-off by professional and amateur chefs.
- Wine tastings by Irvin Vineyards, Total Wine and Southern Wine and Spirits.
- Live reggae music by soca artist Kenne Blessin, and well as The Dubplates.
- Admission ($25) includes admission to the plantation & gardens, a souvenir glass and wine tasting.
- More info and online ticket ordering: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/sc-reggae-jerk-wine-festival-tickets-17201913386
So have a festival-filled weekend…. and remember, when you are looking for beach house rentals Charleston SC, be sure to contact us here at Exclusive Properties. We have the very best in Isle of Palms luxury rentals.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger