First off, there’s no shortage of fun things to do once you’re here in one of our SC vacation rentals, whether it’s a luxury house on Isle of Palms or a Folly Beach house Charleston. Witness these previous blogs about great events going on near your Charleston beach house: Find them HERE and HERE.
Honestly, the calendar is full all the time, and it’s easy to miss some of the great things going on in the Charleston area.
The local newspaper, The Post and Courier (which recently won a Pulitzer Prize, by the way!), does an excellent job of keeping track of local events. Here’s a very handy link to their LOCAL EVENT GUIDE and calendar which is constantly updated on what’s going on near all our luxury beach house rentals SC: http://www.postandcourier.com/events#/29401-charleston/all/today
When you are heading to one of our beach house rentals Charleston SC and stocking up at the grocery store, be sure to throw some bananas in your cart.
Why, you might ask? Well, there are at least 15 good reasons.
The following comes from the good folks at care2 and is called….
15 Surprising Uses for Bananas
Health & Beauty…
- Treat Damaged Hair. Our own Diana Herrington detailed Dr. Oz’s quest for the best damaged hair treatment out there. The results? Bananas! Click here to read Diana’s step-by-step guide treating your hair with bananas.
- Whiten Teeth. Dying for some pearly whites? Rub banana peel on your teeth for about two minutes every time you brush and you’ll be well on your way to that perfect smile.
- Prevent Wrinkles. Check out this recipe for a 3-time-a-week banana anti-aging mask!
- Treat Insect Bites. Rub some banana peels on the bites to alleviate the itch. Comes in handy when staying in one of our Isle of Palms vacation rentals… or basically anywhere in the South during the summer.
- Treat Warts. Bananas are rich in potassium, which is said to help treat warts.
- Treat Bruises, Cuts, and Scrapes. Potassium also helps with the healing process for cuts, scrapes, and bruises.
- Get Rid of Splinters. Can’t get that pesky splinter out of your skin? I feel your pain. Luckily, if you press banana peels onto the splinter, the fruit’s natural enzymes will work to get that sucker out.
- Exfoliate Your Skin. Check out a great banana body sugar rub recipe here. Perfect for use at one of our beach rentals Charleston!
Home & Garden…
- Attract Birds & Butterflies. Like humans, birds and butterflies just love the taste of bananas. If you’d like to watch birds, leave a banana out.
- Fertilize Your Plants. Dried ground banana peels make a fantastic mulch for seedlings and new plants.
- Polish Leather & Silver. No need to invest in pricey, and often toxic, leather and silver cleaners. Instead, rub banana peels on the surface and buff with a cloth.
- Combat Aphids. Nobody likes a damaged plant. Bury some cut up banana peels 2-3 inches deep around the base of the plant.
More Fun Ideas & Facts…
- Dog Treat. Bananas are a perfectly safe, and perfectly healthy, treat for your beloved pooch! Good to know, especially since there are so many food items that are NOT safe to give your dog (like chocolate, onions, grapes).
- Purify Water. OK, this is perhaps best left to the professionals, but research has suggested that banana peels can actually absorb toxins in polluted rivers. But, if you ever find yourself lost in the woods with only a banana peel, you’ll be prepared!
- Make “Ice Cream.” Craving the sweet stuff but don’t have the time, calories, or budget to spare? Simply blend a frozen solid banana in a food processor or blender. You’ll be surprised how much it tastes like soft-serve ice cream! For more info on frozen banana ice cream, click here.
That last idea is really cool, as is the page it links to. Something semi-magical happens when you freeze a banana. It’s all the coolness and smooth mouthfeel of ice cream but with none of the guilt.
Thanks to Katie Waldeck for sharing all those neat ideas for what turns out to be a very versatile fruit.
So enjoy those bananas in a myriad of useful ways… and remember, when you are looking for rental homes South Carolina, namely Isle of Palms luxury rentals, to contact Exclusive Properties for the very best.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger