It’s the quintessential Carolina – and coastal – dance… and it’s that time of the year where you can shag with the locals at a supremely scenic spot.
After all, what’s a trip to one of our SC vacation rentals, especially beach rentals Charleston, without doing the official STATE DANCE OF SOUTH CAROLINA? BTW, the Shag became officially designated as such in 1984.
It’s time again for the annual Shaggin’ on the Cooper dance series, which has officially kicked off for the summer season. It takes place at the pier at Waterfront Memorial Park, underneath the Ravenel Bridge on the Mount Pleasant side of the Cooper River. The event is sponsored by the awesome folks at Charleston County Parks and Rec, and it’s a whole lot of fun.
It takes place on Saturday evenings during the summer months, so you can shag as the sun sets over Charleston. Gates open at 7:00 p.m. and the music begins at 8:00 p.m. The park is a convenient drive from all our luxury beach house rentals SC, and is east of the Cooper River just like our all our Isle of Palms vacation rentals are. From your luxury house on Isle of Palms, head toward downtown Charleston and you’ll find the park just before you get to the big bridge.
Here are the dates and musical lineup for this summer’s SHAGGIN’ ON THE COOPER:
- May 16, The Sugarbees
- June 13, Shem Creek Boogie Band
- July 4 Uncle Sam Jam, Permanent Vacation
- July 18, The Sneakers
- August 15, Vinyl Daze
- September 12, Ocean Drive Party Band
Tickets are just $10 and often sell out fast. Here’s a link to the site with more info and where you can buy tickets online: http://ccprc.com/1175/Shaggin-on-the-Cooper
Food and beverages will also be available for purchase. This is a wholesome event perfect for many ages staying in your Charleston beach house. HERE’S a previous blog about the subject.
There is a similar series happening out on Folly Beach at the Folly Beach Edwin S. Taylor Fishing Pier. It’s Moonlight Mixers that kick off later this month. These are especially convenient if you’re staying in a Folly Beach house Charleston.
Here’s more info….
MOONLIGHT MIXERS 2015 Dates:
May 22, June 19, July 24, August 21, and September 18
- Event hours: 7-11 p.m.
- Beverages will be available for purchase on site. ID is required to purchase alcohol.
- Food and snacks will be available for purchase at Locklear’s Beach City Grill and the Gangplank Gift & Tackle Shop located at the entrance to the pier.
- No refunds or exchanges.
- Food, beverage, and any parking fees are not included in price.
- Rain dates are the following Saturday night.
- To minimize sway and preserve the structural integrity of the pier, line dancing is not allowed at the Moonlight Mixers.
- Online registration will not be available after midnight on the Thursday before each event. On the day of the event, admission can be purchased by calling 843-795-4386 or at the event gate.
Here’s a link to the webpage for this series of events, including online ticket purchases: http://ccprc.com/1618/Moonlight-Mixers
When you’re looking for rental homes South Carolina, namely beach house rentals Charleston SC, contact EP. Our Isle of Palms luxury rentals are the very best around.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger
Photo: The cool folks at The Island Eye News