Charity_Flyer_2 Drew

It’s not yet the primest of prime seasons for luxury beach house rentals SC, but it’s pretty close.

We’re past Easter and the Cooper River Bridge Run and not yet to Spoleto or Memorial Day, but it’s a fine time to be here, indeed.  You’ll save on rates for all our SC vacation rentals, be they Isle of Palms vacation rentals or a Folly Beach house Charleston.  The weather’s nice and there’s lots to do.

It’s the big concluding weekend of the Volvo Car Open on Daniel Island.  Here’s a link for the official website, with schedule and the latest standings:

The stadium’s an easy drive from all beach rentals Charleston, especially our Isle of Palms luxury rentals.  Just head over the IOP Connector into Mount Pleasant, take I-526 and get off at the Daniel Island exit.  Follow the signs to parking for the big stadium, you can’t miss it.  Click here for more on the tournament.

If you’re in a Charleston beach house this weekend, especially a luxury house on Isle of Palms, there’s a cool event for a good cause going on Saturday night, and it’s not far away.  It’s a fundraiser for a young man named Drew Shelton, who was the passenger in a car accident in which the driver was killed, and he suffered unimaginable injuries.


The event involves a live auction with incredible stuff… a 10-day trip to Figi, an African Safari, a week in a luxury home in Palmetto Bluff, five private polo lessons with Thomas Ravenel (star of Bravo’s Southern Charm, who will be there), a trip to the Cook Islands, four tickets to see any Carolina Panthers game with behind the scenes access and a private tour by former pro and now coach Ricky Proehl, a Thanksgiving meal for 18-20 prepared in your home by an Expedition Chef who is starring in the Food Network’s show “Chopped”….a three-hour concert by the band Dead 27s….  backstage passes to Hootie & the Blowfish… a guitar signed by all four members… a Gulf Stream deep sea fishing or a private harbor cruise for six aboard the Caramba, the three-time winner of the Governor’s Cup.  Oh, and there are over 100 silent auction items that are seriously way cool.

There will be live music, GREAT food and libations, and all the proceeds go toward Drew’s medical expenses.

Word on the street is several big celebrities will be there.   Here’s the Facebook page:

Just cross the Connector from our IOP beach house rentals Charleston SC and turn left onto Rifle Range Road, and turn left  into Cassina Plantation (just before the second roundabout at Bowman Road).  Hope to see you there!

And remember, as always, to call EP for the best in rental homes South Carolina on the Charleston beaches.

All best,
Lowcountry Lisa
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger

p.s. Here’s Drew’s story…



Drew was born June 2, 1986, the middle of three boys in Charleston.  He has an older brother, James, who is 35 and a younger brother, Keegan, who is 23.  He was one of those rare babies that you could put in the crib and he would entertain himself until he fell asleep.  Although he was a very content baby, he was also strong willed and independent.  He kicked the slats out of his crib when he was a little over a year old and we had to get him into a bed early.   I never knew how well that strong will would serve him until his accident 7 years ago.

Drew started playing soccer when he was almost 7.  It became apparent early that he was a natural athlete and was good at anything he set his mind to.  In the 7th grade, he was a Junior Scholar.  He took the SAT in 7th grade and made a 940.  He was very self-motivated and I never had to get on him about homework.  He came to know the Lord when he was 10 years old and went on a missions trip at 12 with our church to a work camp to help people in an underprivileged neighborhood with house repairs. He also used to go downtown with his small group leader and talk to people about Jesus.  He continued playing soccer until he was in 9th grade.  He also surfed during his middle and high school years and played football in 7th, 8th and 9th grades. He was passionate about movies and all things French.

In high school he continued to do well in school.  He got into the normal teenage scrapes and his grades fell in his junior year, however, he managed to pull them up and graduated with a Life Scholarship and a Presidential Scholarship.  He went to the College of Charleston after graduation.  Unfortunately, he lost his scholarship in his junior year because he was having a little too much fun.

Shortly after his 21st birthday, I asked him if he wanted to come back home to live for a while.  He had been working in restaurants at night while in college and the party life was affecting him in a negative way.  I did not expect him to accept my offer, but he did and in November of 2007, he moved home.

Drew had studied French for 2 years in middle school, 3 years in high school and 3 years in college and wanted to attend his last year of college in France or at least spent a summer there.  He worked a couple of restaurant jobs but had an interview scheduled for February 21st at Blackbaud and he was very excited about that.  Unfortunately, the accident happened in the early morning of February 21st and he never made that interview.

When we got to the hospital after that terrible phone call, we did not know what to expect.  All we knew was that Drew had been in an accident, that he was a passenger, and that the driver did not make it.  It was a one-car accident.  We were finally told within the first few hours that if he survived, he would never breathe on his own and he would spend what was left of his life in a persistent vegetative state.  Apparently, God had a different plan for Drew.

Several times during the first two weeks, we almost lost Drew.  His injury was very serious.  It seemed we were praying almost constantly, which is, I am sure, what saved him.  His body temperature was lowered to 93 degrees on two occasions to try to relieve the pressure in his brain.  Finally, a piece of skull on the right side of his head was removed and placed inside his abdomen and after the swelling was under control, the piece was replaced.

After three weeks or so, he began to stabilize.  One day at about the 5 week point, the doctor came in Drew’s room and told me that he would need to be moved to a vent hospital in the next few weeks.  When I asked what a vent hospital was, she told me that it was for people who would never breathe on their own.  I was devastated, but before I even had a chance to tell anyone what I had been told, I received a text message from someone indicating that in their quiet time that morning, the Lord had said that a family member would be told discouraging news in Drew’s hospital room, but that God had the final word.  He started breathing three days later – on Good Friday.

We almost lost Drew again two weeks later when he was moved from ICU to a step down unit, but again, God intervened.

Drew was at MUSC for almost 8 weeks, then was transferred to a hospital in Greenville.  He needed time to continue healing, but did not need the ICU any more.  We knew about 7 weeks after the accident that he was understanding what we were saying.  Although Drew began mouthing words about 9 weeks after the accident, the doctors did not believe us.  When he stopped mouthing words because of a fluid build-up (unbeknownst to us), no one really looked into it because they never believed that he had been doing that.  About 6 weeks after arriving in Greenville, Drew was transferred to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta.

Their words may have been different, but all of the doctors had the same message – they all told us that Drew needed a miracle.  Since God is in the miracle business, and the only qualification for getting one was needing one, I felt we were in the right camp.

Drew finally returned home from the hospital on July 19, 2008, about 5 months after the accident.  We had a hard time finding good nurses the first year but in spite of that, looking back, it was probably the easiest year Drew had.  The second year began with Drew having storms where his blood pressure, heart rate and temperature would skyrocket and the oxygen level in his blood would plummet.  It is sort of like his “governor” was broken.  Again, we almost lost him a couple of times, and again, God had a different plan.

About two years ago, we met a doctor who told us about neurofeedback, and it changed everything.  Drew no longer has the storms he once had and no longer has seizures.  He has made great strides in his level of alertness, although he is still not completely “awake”.  We continue to see little things here and there as he continues the neurofeedback treatment.

Unfortunately, Drew still requires around-the-clock care.  He has to be tilted in the wheelchair every 30 minutes while he is up, and he has to be turned every 3 ½ hours at night to keep from getting bedsores (which he has never had!)  He has a baclofen pump implanted to keep his muscles from being stiff and drawn.  He has a VP shunt to keep the fluid level down in his brain.  And his temperature control, although somewhat improved, is still not functioning as it should.  He is stable for the most part, but still has episodes of dysautonomia (which are similar to seizures but without the damaging effect on his brain).  We make the formula that we feed him because the available formulas have a lot of sugar and other things that are not good for a healing body.  As I mentioned before, he has understood what was going on and being said to him from early on, and for the last 3 years he has been blinking once to say yes and twice to say no.  His comprehension does not seem to lack in any area, and he has a French lesson once a week.

Drew’s continued need for around-the-clock care has necessitated a dramatic change in the priorities and activities of his family. There is no “down” time for them – they are basically on call 24/7.  Please assist Drew and his family by providing financial assistance.   This fundraiser is to help with Drew’s ongoing and future medical expenses.