It’s time again for one of the Charleston area’s most wholesome, family-friendly events – the Ladybug Release.
It is hosted by and takes place at Magnolia Plantation, specifically on the grounds of its world class gardens.
The ladybug release is a fairly new event that has fast become a beloved Lowcountry tradition. It’s back by popular demand, and will take place this coming Saturday, August 1st with some pandemic precautions in place. 2020 marks its seventh year.
Organizers are looking for the silver lining of this worldwide pandemic, during which people have refrained from driving, flying, and operating factories and machinery. They had this to say about this year’s event: “Parts or the world have the cleanest air they’ve seen in years. Worldwide greenhouse gas emissions are falling and even the planet’s rivers and bays are clearing up. Now more than ever, the world is showing us how important it is to pay attention to our environment, and that it is up to us to take care of it. This event is a great way for children to learn how they can help preserve and protect our natural environment.”
Magnolia is Charleston’s most visited plantation, dating all the way back to 1676. It opened to the public in 1870 and boasts the oldest public gardens in America.
The Romantic-style gardens are lush and gorgeous at all times of the year. Its extensive collection of camellias is one of the best, if not the best, on the planet.
Ladybugs are more than just cute little critters. They also are invaluable members of the ecological community, contributing to the overall health of the garden. They keep other small, destructive insects under control, including the rose gardener’s nemesis the aphid, along with other scale insects.
The ladybug release is a fun way to get 144,000 of those guys out into the gardens at Magnolia, so they can do their thing. It’s also a great chance for kids to dress up, help Mother Earth, and learn more about the environment.
Details on Magnolia’s Ladybug Release
- This Saturday, August 1st from 9:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m.;
- Ladybug release is included with admission to Magnolia Plantation and Gardens;
- Pick up your container of ladybugs at the ticket kiosk when you arrive;
- Scatter out to your favorite spot to release them at a safe social distance;
- There will be plenty of nature displays, environmental groups and exhibitors, along with the fan-favorite Volkswagen Beetle dressed up like a ladybug;
- Kids are encouraged to come in a ladybug costume;
- Costume contest at 11:30 a.m. in these categories: age 3 and under, ages 4 to 6, ages 7 and up, and family or group;
- Tickets are $20 adults, $10 for kids 6 to 12, while children 5 and under get in free;
- You can buy tickets in advance here.
Find out more on the event’s Facebook page
If you happen to be around this weekend, check out Magnolia’s ladybug release, at 3550 Ashley River Road in Charleston. Although geared toward kids, it’s fun for all ages. The gardens are timeless and a must-see on the Lowcountry list of places to visit. And if you’d like to book a Charleston beach house, just give us a call at EP.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger