The Lowcountry has a myriad of fun festivals that happen in all seasons, all throughout the calendar year, and a luxury house on Isle of Palms makes the perfect home base for it all. Some of the biggies include SEWE, Spoleto, Piccolo Spoleto, MOJA, Flowertown, Festival of Homes and Gardens, just to name a very few. They are a big draw for people coming to our SC vacation rentals, since they’re convenient to both our Isle of Palms vacation rentals and Folly Beach rentals Charleston.
Another big festival is coming up a little less than a month from now, so you might want to mark your calendars. It’s the Southern Living Taste of Charleston Festival at Boone Hall Plantation – in fact, it’s the 36th annual incarnation of the beloved event where you can sample your way through Charleston cuisine without leaving one locale.
The dates are September 23rd through 25th, with the main event happening on the 25th (Sunday). Prime time for luxury beach house rentals SC ends on Labor Day, so it’s a chance to score some great off-season rates on our rental homes South Carolina, either a luxury house on Isle of Palms or a Folly Beach house Charleston.
But in the meantime, there’s a trio of quirky/fun things going on if you happen to be in a Charleston beach house this weekend – one event for each day of the weekend.
MUSIC & MOVIES IN THE PARK near your luxury house on Isle of Palms
First up, tonight (Friday, August 26th) it’s the latest installment of Music & Movies in the Park – free outdoor movie screenings at Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park with live entertainment to boot. Here are the specs:
- Free showing of the blockbuster “Star Wars: The Force Awakens;”
- Food trucks like Mac Daddy and concession vendors;
- Live musical performance by the East Cooper Baptist Church Orchestra playing a “Force Awakens” medley, and an appearance by the 501st Carolina Garrison;
- Music begins at 6:30 p.m., movie starts at sunset, around 8:00 p.m.;
- For your GPS: 99 Harry Hallman Jr. Blvd, Mount Pleasant – a super easy drive from your luxury house on Isle of Palms;
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/973622229342050/
STOMP SOME GRAPES near your luxury house on Isle of Palms
Then on Saturday, August 27th from 10:00 a.m. till 5:00 is the 13th annual Grape Stomping Festival at Deep Water Vineyard, formerly known as Irvin-House Vineyards.
It takes place at 6775 Bears Bluff Road in Wadmalaw Island. The cost is $10 per car in advance ($20 at the gate), and part of the proceeds will be given to local school programs. On hand will be food as well as Firefly Distillery and Deep Water Vineyard tastings available for purchase. Check out some live music by One Kool Blow (soul/rhythm & blues) and Travelin’ Kine (red dirt/Americana/roots rock).
It’s also appropriate for the kids staying in your luxury house on Isle of Palms, as there will a bounce castle and other fun kid stuff.
But the main attraction is the grape stomping contest, inspired by the famous 1956 episode of I Love Lucy. Teams of two people each (the Stomper and the Swabber) will have three minutes to stomp 20 pounds of fresh muscadine grapes with bare feet. The one that produces the most juice, wins.
And of course, you are encouraged to dress like Lucille Ball from the iconic TV scene; kids are welcome to dress like Lucy, too. In fact, concurrent to the stomping contest will be a Lucy Look-A-Like Contest.
See above pic for costume and hair ideas.
Here are more details: http://www.deepwatervineyard.com/
REGGAE, JERK & WINE FESTIVAL near your luxury house on Isle of Palms
Then on Sunday, it’s the third annual installment of a spirited combo festival taking place at Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. It promises a zesty combo of tunes, food and bevs as it celebrates Jamaica Day here in the Lowcountry, and benefits some good causes. Here are the details:
- A whole day of fun – noon till 7:30 p.m. Sunday, August 28th
- Hosted by Ulato Sam, a native of Jamaica and former Morehouse College athlete;
- Proceeds benefit the Healthy Lifestyle Network, which educates kids and adults on healthy eating. You’re encouraged to bring toys, school supplies, soccer balls and shin guards which they’ll distribute to needy kids in Charleston and Jamaica;
- A jerk recipe cook-off by professional and amateur chefs;
- Caribbean food vendors, arts & crafts vendor marketplace, tasting of Irie Jerk Wine;
- Dominoes tournament, Jamaican Ludo games, a pepper-eating contest, screening of the documentary, “Queen Nanny: Legendary Maroon Chieftainess;”
- Live reggae roots music by Crucial Fiya and a Caribbean DJ;
- Admission ($25 advance, $35 at the gate) includes admission to the Plantation & Gardens, a souvenir glass and wine tasting;
- More info and online tickets: http://www.screggaejerkfestival.com/
So have a festival-filled weekend…. and remember, when you are looking for beach house rentals Charleston SC, be sure to contact us here at Exclusive Properties. We have the very best in Isle of Palms luxury rentals.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger