The weather is summery – today marks the official start of the season – and it’s prime time to get a tan while enjoying views and beverages in one of the many rooftop bars of the Lowcountry.
Rooftop bars have become quite the trend around the world, and especially here in the Holy City and nearby Mount Pleasant.
Because historically Charleston limited the height of its buildings – not letting anything be taller than a church steeple – generally you have fantastic unobstructed views from rooftop bars, in all directions.
The weather in the Lowcountry is also so pleasant that they can function pretty much year round. Some have pools to cool off in during the hotter months.
The best rooftop bars, and restaurants, and more…
Rooftop bars are not just bars either – they are often excellent restaurants as well. Nothing like eating and drinking al fresco with great views. Several are breweries.
Recently, the Post & Courier put together its list of the top 19 rooftop bars in Charleston, Mount Pleasant and the like. Some faves – The Pavilion Bar, Élevé, Balao, Revelry Brewing, Red’s Ice House, The Boathouse (right here on the IOP!), and Saltwater Cowboys.
Read the whole list of top rooftop bars here.
There’s a lot going on this weekend, including a relatively new event happening tomorrow.
It’s called RumFest, and is quite the celebration of all things rum. Shiver me timbers! Get set for:
- 12 chefs preparing Caribbean specialties;
- Over 20 different global rum distilleries concocting 35 “life-altering cocktails;
- Plenty of food and beverages involving – you guessed it – rum;
- Live music by Holy City Steel Collective (steel pan) and a DJ;
- A pirate costume contest;
- Plenty of “pirate-themed mischief,” including games like Spin the Wench, Drink the Plank, Gamble Your Booty, and henna tattoos;
- Play in the Puppy Pit hosted by the Berkeley County Animal Shelter (FUN!);
- Tickets are $45 each and include unlimited rum tastings and five food tickets; VIP tickets are $65. They include that and unlimited food tastings and a VIP Lounge.
It’ll happen tomorrow – Saturday, June 22nd – from 7:00 pm till 11:00 p.m. at Memminger Auditorium, 56 Beaufain Street in downtown Charleston. Figure about 30 minutes from the Isle of Palms. Last I checked, only 20 VIP tickets were left.
Read all about it and get tickets at the official website.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger