If you’re in a luxury house on Isle of Palms this weekend, you don’t have to go very far to experience the fun of Piccolo Spoleto. It’s coming to the beach near you.
But before we get to that, today is a very important holiday.
Happy National Doughnut Day!
Today, June 3rd, is in fact a real food holiday, established by the Salvation Army to honor their volunteers, affectionately called “Doughnut Lassies,” who fed them to soldiers in France during World War I.
And in celebration of this very important American holiday, several establishments are offering free treats or excellent discounts. There are several options near our SC vacation rentals, whether you’re staying in one of our Isle of Palms vacation rentals or a Folly Beach house Charleston.
Here are some of the good deals going on today:
- Krispy Kreme – Offering one free doughnut per person, in every state except Connecticut (good thing you opted for rental homes South Carolina rather than rental homes Connecticut). There is no purchase necessary, but you’re more than welcome to give a donation to the Salvation Army to support the great work they do.
- Dunkin Donuts – A free donut with the purchase of any drink.
- Entenmann’s – One free doughnut at select locations across the country. They are also having a contest where one person will win free doughnuts for a year.
Here’s more on the story, including other places across the land where you can score a doughnut deal on doughnut day: http://greatideas.people.com/2016/06/02/national-donut-day-free-deals/
Sand sculpting contest near your luxury house on Isle of Palms….
Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto are in full swing right now, and the city is hoppin’ with cultural events of all kinds. Most take place on and around the downtown peninsula, which is an easy drive from all our beach house rentals Charleston SC, whether you’re in one of our Isle of Palms luxury rentals or a Folly Beach rentals Charleston.
If you’re here staying in one of our luxury beach house rentals SC, especially one of our Isle of Palms vacation rentals, the festival is coming to you. This weekend is the official Piccolo Spoleto Sand Sculpting Contest on the IOP, and it kicks off at 9:00 a.m. this Saturday, June 4th. Just head out of your luxury house on Isle of Palms and walk, bike or golf cart over to Front Beach to check out the fun.
Believe it or not, this marks the 28th annual installment of the competition. They award a lot of great prizes, not to mention the much-coveted bragging rights. It’s a very family-friendly event, and if you’re here in a Charleston beach house with a group of friends and loved ones, you just might want to enter a team and give it a whirl.
Prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category:
- Adult’s event (Ages 21 and older)
- Family event (At least one adult & one young adult or child)
- Young Adult’s event (Ages 15 – 20)
- Children’s event (Ages 14 and under)
- Best Architectural
- Most Creative
Speaking of which – entries do get pretty creative, indeed, and it’s always a lot of fun to watch the designs develop and unfold from the sands of the island.
It’s always a hoot to see what people come up with. Here’s a link with more info, including a list of last year’s winners… http://www.iop.net/sand-sculpting-contest
So if you’re heading here to a luxury house on Isle of Palms, gather everybody up and give it a go. They give good prizes, plus you get those ever-important IOP sand-sculpting championship bragging rights for a year.
Here’s a link to the registration form: http://files.ctctcdn.com/abb09688001/9e280315-e355-405f-8fa1-d764ba7b2e24.pdf
And here are the rules of competition:
Piccolo Spoleto Sand Sculpting Competition Sand Sculpting Competition Rules
1. Trespassing, excavation, or disruption of the dunes in any way whatsoever is not permitted.
2. Wheeled vehicles of any kind, including wheelbarrows, wagons, carts, etc. may not be used to assist in the construction of entries, i.e., to transport sand.
3. Each entry and the excavation of sand for each entry must be limited to the area between site boundaries. Sand may not be taken to, or from adjacent or remote sites.
4. The entries must be constructed predominantly with sand and water. Permanent elements and/or form works of other materials are not allowed. Minor embellishments of other materials may be permitted.
5. The use of hand shovels, buckets, trowels, shaping or forming tools, temporary forms and shoring (used for construction only) and other miscellaneous hand tools are permitted.
6. All items brought to the beach by competitors must be removed before leaving the beach.
7. Inorganic, toxic, or non-biodegradable sand stabilizers such as spray paint, glue, etc. are not permitted.
8. Only the registered participants for each entry (limit of four people) are allowed to participate in the construction of the entry. Small children who need direct supervision of parents involved in the competition and who are not substantially involved in the construction of the entry will be allowed to remain within the construction site. The judges retain the right to disqualify any team that violates the spirit of the four-person limit.
9. The organizers reserve the right to establish additional rules as the need arises on the day of the event, in order to cover unforeseen situations or conditions.
10. Violation of any rules (written or stated) may lead to disqualification. The judges and organizers reserve the sole right to interpret these rules.
11. The organizers, sponsors, and judges assume no responsibility for the safety of participants or spectators, and for the security of personal articles brought to the competition.
For Information Call 843-886-8294 or Send an E-mail to: SandSculptures4Fun@Yahoo.com or ASinwald@IOP.net
So grab a free doughnut, check out some cool sandcastles, and remember to call EP when you want the very best luxury house on Isle of Palms.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger