This weekend is your chance to get your Braveheart on, at the 48th annual Charleston Scottish Games.
This longstanding tradition brings all things Scotland to the grounds of Boone Hall Plantation in Mount Pleasant, just over the Connector from our Isle of Palms vacation rentals.
The day begins at 9:00 a.m. this Saturday, November 2nd. Presentation of the clans takes place at 11:30. Prepare to see many patterns of plaid, as more than 40 different clans will take part.
What to expect throughout the day at the Scottish Games…
- “Heavy Athletics” like the Putting of the Stone, Hammer and Weight Throws, Sheaf Toss, and the ever-popular Caber Toss, where they basically throw a 175-pound telephone pole end over end;
- Piping and Drumming, with the Southern USA Pipe Band Championship (GRIII) Competition;
- Highland Dancing Competitions;
- Scottish Country Dancing, like reels, wee jigs and strathspeys;
- Border Collie Sheep Herding Demonstrations;
- Childrens’ Games like the Scotch Egg Relay, along with storytelling, Craft Hall, face painting, and more;
- Live music by the Glengarry Bhoys, described as “Celtic Rock;”
- Scottish Fiddling Competition;
- Beer garden with craft beers from Highland Brewing;
- Plenty of Scottish vendors with edible delicacies and merchandise
- Whisky Tasting.
Adults are $20 online ($30 at the gate), children $5, free for kids 5 and under. Tickets include admission to Boone Hall Plantation. The Scottish Games last till 5:00, and parking is free. They’re expecting about 6,000 people, so it’s wise to get there early and stay late.
The Scottish Games are sponsored by the Scottish Society of Charleston. Here’s the official website with all the details and online ticket purchasing. Also, you can check out the Scottish Games’ Facebook event page for more info. #WeRScots
Also happening this week on the IOP…
Also, a quick reminder of two other events happening this week, both of which are on the Isle of Palms itself. Actually, they’re both at the Rec Center in the middle of the island.
First up, tomorrow (Wednesday, October 30th), it’s the last IOP farmers’ market of the season. Look for the tents over near the tennis courts. They’ll have live music, food trucks and plenty of local vendors. It’s also a great chance to meet the island natives, especially with election day coming up next week. Several folks are running for City Council and are sure to be there. It’s going on from 3:00 till 7:00 p.m.
Then on Thursday – Halloween – it’s the annual Halloween Carnival and Costume Contest, also at the Rec. Read all about it in this blog.
So check out some IOP events, and have a sheaf tossing-good time at the Scottish Games at Boone Hall. And when you are looking for the best in beach rentals, be sure to call EP.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger