Summer means baseball, and the season’s in full swing here in the Lowcountry. Charleston has its own team, the RiverDogs, a Single-A Sally league team that’s (rather ironically) part of the Yankees organization. It’s co-owned by none other than the SNL alum and movie icon himself, Bill Murray, whose official title is “Director of Fun.”
As you might imagine, this isn’t just any team, or ballpark, or milieu. The RiverDogs are known for their zany promotions and for their creative cuisine. Plus, it’s just a wholesome, very fun way to spend an afternoon or evening. It’s got something for everyone staying in your Charleston beach house, and is a fun outing when staying in one of our SC vacation rentals.
The RiverDogs play at “The Joe,” Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park, named after Charleston’s beloved mayor. It’s an easy drive to all our luxury beach house rentals SC, be they Isle of Palms vacation rentals or a beach house Charleston out on Folly. If you’re in a luxury house on Isle of Palms, head to Highway 17 and take it all the way onto the peninsula and the Crosstown, and turn right onto Lockwood. If you’re in Folly Beach rentals Charleston, cross the Ashley onto the peninsula and turn onto Lockwood, then head left. You can’t miss it. It’s located over toward the Citadel.
Here’s a link to the official website, with this season’s full schedule and ticket info: http://charleston.riverdogs.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t233
But back to the food. It’s eclectic, to say the least. John Schumacher, the team’s food and beverage pro, explains, “I don’t know if you’d necessarily call it international, but we’re obviously trying to find the balance of a little bit of decadence and having something to offer people who aren’t all that into that.”
Here is some of what you can find to nosh on at The Joe:
– Smokin’ Joe’s stand in the Beer Garden – is serving a brisket ramen bowl with snow peas, carrots and a hardboiled egg;
– Southern Kimchi Dog, with collards, kimchi, peppers, sesame oil and soy sauce;
– The Lowcountry Taco (at the Wacko Taco Stand) has collards, pulled pork and mac-and-cheese;
– chocolate-covered pepper bacon;
– deep-fried cheesecake on a stick;
– a pretzel weighing 24 ounces that comes with a whole lotta nacho cheese sauce;
– two smoked half-pound turkey wings, served on a bed of pork rinds;
– turkey burgers and black bean burgers, healthier choices which have come back on the menu after skipping last season;
– and at DogWorld – a huge Summer Harvest Salad with edamame, quinoa, sprouts and avocado dressing the salad. It serves two to three people and is served in a batting helmet. According to Schumacher, “Typically salads don’t do well at the ballpark, but we’ll see… we’re trying to stretch and see what we can get away with.”
Here’s the whole scoop from Hanna Raskin, the Post & Courier’s intrepid food writer: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150401/PC1206/150409989&source=RSS
(Speaking of Charleston cuisine, here’s how to experience Restaurant Week any time of the year).
So remember – when you’re staying in one of our beach house rentals Charleston SC, especially one of our Isle of Palms luxury rentals, you’ve gotta feed everyone. Why not do it creatively while also taking in a live version of America’s favorite pastime and the greatest show on dirt?
And remember to contact EP when you’re looking for the best in rental homes South Carolina.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger